Subject: [Leica] perplexing question using studio strobes
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:57:10 -0800

Let's see if I can explain this well enough.

I was asked to shoot a few publicity stills for two women starting their own
exercise salon. The ladies wanted to pose against a white background so they
could easily photoshop the background away and plug the images into their
brochure.

So I said I'd shoot this. I have a set of those trusty portable strobes with
diffuser boxes on them and a flash meter.

I used Ektachrome 100.

I also took my D30 to use as a "polaroid" checking lighting with the histogram
function, looking at shadows etc. (It works great, the only better thing would
be to run the camera to a monitor.)

After I finished the shoot and had the film processed I saw a gradual "creep"
toward the blue in the background. Some of this was my fault. As we played with
different poses I didn't enforce the discipline of checking the lighting values
each time. But even when I did, especially for the portraits at the end, there
was still this blue shift in the background.

There were windows but the day was mostly overcast and the room was not brightly
lite by daylight.

Could this be a shift in the strobes? Does under exposing Ektachrome move the
color balance to the blue?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] perplexing question using studio strobes)