Subject: RE: [Leica] favorite macro equipments?
From: nhcharch@netscape.net (Noel Charchuk)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:29:58 -0500

Richard, I carry a Summicron DR, and the eyes for it. While not a "macro" lens, it does allow you to get as close as most SLR camera's normal lens (about 18-19 inches)and fill the frame with an image from an area about 10 inches by 8 inches. Reproduction ratio is 1:7.5 at close focus.
You can also use the SOOKY-M or SOMKY attachment with the lens head from a ridgid Summicron 50 (Older version) and the proper adapter (16508).
Both solutions weigh only a few ounces, assuming you are taking a Summicron 50 to the field.
Either of these can get you a pretty good shot of smaller, static objects. Focussing is a bit difficult until you realize you should set the desired ratio, and then move the camera instead of the lens barrel to get the focus right.
The Summicron DR goes for around $350 to 500, with eyes on eBay. I haven't seen a SOMKY for a while, but they run anywhere from $50 to $100.
The DR and SOMKY don't fit a M7, and can be modified to fit a M6, if I recall discussions here in the past correctly.
I have a SOMKY and adapter for sale, for $75 if anyone is interested.
Noel