Subject: Re: [Leica] Shellac
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:08:08 -0800

Jeff S wrote:

> I think it's just a matter of dissolving the shellac
> flakes in denatured alcohol and brushing it on in
> rather thin coats. This seems like an odd thing to
> brush on a camera body as it's not the most durable of
> finishes. Do a web search for "shellac flakes" and
> you'll find a lot of info.

Thanks.  My initial web searches on shellac didn't reveal much useful
info (mostly just refinishing wooden floors) which is why I posted the
question to the group.  I didn't realize first that it came in flakes,
but your description seems to fit others I've found.  Hunting around
and using combinations of search expressions had yielded some useful
info.

I'm not quite sure why shellac was used initially.  Perhaps because it
provided just the right amount of "stick", compared to outright glues.
After all, a number of camera manufacturers hid screws underneath the
leatherette, so you'd need to be able to remove it and reattach it
without damaging either the leatherette or the camera itself.  Pure
glue may be too strong for that.

M.