Subject: Re: [Leica] favorite macro equipments?
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:49:53 -0800

> At 12:52 PM 3/28/03 -0800, Richard F. Man wrote:
>> For the M shooters, do you sometimes carry some sort of macro capable
>> SLR/digicam equipments in addition to the M? If so, what's your
>> favorite?
>> Trekking up and down Yosemite with just 2 lens (35 and 75) seem to
>> work
>> fine, but there are several times I wish I have a macro lens....
>
> Up until recently, I used an Olympus OM-2 with 50/3.5 Zuiko Macro lens
> and three extension tubes.

My new favorite macro rig is an OM-2n or OM-3 with a Voigtlander 125mm
APO Lanthar (Cosina made, of course, and it goes to 1:1 with no
tubes!).  The lens is incredible! It even bested my old favorite, the
Zuiko 90mm f2 macro. I cannot compare it to the Leica 100 APO since I
do not have access to that glass, but for the price, and the amount of
macro work I do, it is awesome. Only problem is that it is HUGE - at
least by OM standards, certainly by Leica M standards. I'd only lug it
up a mountian if I knew I had a great macro opportunity awaiting me.

Best trekking / climbing kit: M7, 21mm CV, 50mm or 35mm 'lux (not
both), 90mm TE, and leave the SLR, tripod and flash at home :-) I find
it better to carry extra water...

- - marc