Subject: RE: [Leica] favorite macro equipments?
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:49:38 -0800 (PST)

My favorite macro setup--is there any other
contender--is the Rolleiflex SL66. With standard lens,
it went to 1:2 and offered modest lens tilt for better
depth of field control. Reverse the lens and it does
1:1, and no adapter rings are needed. The original
viewscreen was mostly useless for macro work as the
large central spot would quickly black out, but
replacing it with a Beattie screen improves matters
enough that I could still see what I was doing with
the bellows racked out, the lens at f/16 and with a
polarizing filter in place! It's engineering struck me
as brilliant in some areas and kind of shoddy in
others (for instance, the lens latch never actually
worked). Impression overall was that the designers
spent so much time on clever features like it's
mechanical depth of field scale, and the 12/24 back
with rewind knob that popped out after frame #12 that
the rest was rushed in order to meet deadline.

If I had someone else to carry them, the Mamiya RB ,
RZ and Fuji GX680 would interest me lots too. Fuji
offers a shoulder strap for the GX680: I take this as
proof that someone at Fuji has a wicked sense of
humor, as this camera is about the size of a human
head.

Jeff S