Subject: Re: [Leica] Winder R or R4?
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:13:57 -0800

Robert Meier wrote:

> What is the difference between the Winder R and the Winder R4?

The motor drive (MD) and motor winder (MW) for R cameras came in three
major versions: The version for the R3 (Motor-Winder R3), the version
for the R4 (Motor-Winder R4, Motor-Drive R4) and the version for all
R4/R4/R6/R7 cameras (Motor-Drive R, Motor-Winder R).

The R3 version fit (I believe) only the R3 camera.  The R4 version
actually fits the R4/R5/R6/R7 cameras (I used an MD-R4 on an R6 and
R7).  The principle difference between the R4 and R versions of the MD
and MW is that the R version takes a modified handgrip that has two
electrical releases built into it: one at the top of the grip for
horizontal shots, one at the base for verticals.  You can tell them
apart from the three little gold contacts on the front of the
drive/winder R, which are missing from the R4 version (other than the
obvious logo).

However... I know for a fact that there were either Motor-Drive R4s
sold that could take the Handgrip-R, or were modified at some later
stage in life to do so... because I owned one.  I adamantly maintained
that it was a Motor-Drive-R until someone pointed out to me that it
said "Motor Drive R4" on the front.  But it did have and used (to full
effect) the Handgrip-R.

M.