Subject: Re: [Leica] Organizing media Was: Totally off topic.... Polaroid scanner
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:41:42 -0800

Adam Bridge wrote:

> I'm truly curious about how people organize their photographs.

As little work as possible, using a scheme mostly stolen from Tom A.
Developed film gets cut into strips of 6 frames.  These are placed in
clear plastic negative holder (one per film) onto which I write the
film number, located, and date.  These are then put into a ring binder.
  On the back of the ring binders, I write the first film number and
last film number stored in it.

On the back of every print I make (be it an ordinary print, or an
inkjet) I write the film and frame number, and I name my web images the
same way.  This allows me to find a frame pretty easily.  For example,
A116-23A is frame 23A on roll A116.  From the negative file, I know
when and where this was taken.

I scan only those prints that I either want to put on the web, or make
inkjet prints of.  I use suffixes to keep track of the files:

	a116-23a-raw.tiff		Raw scan, maximum resolution
	a116-23a-web.jpg		72dpi version suitable for web publishing
	a116-23a-7x10.psd		PhotoShop file of 7x10 inkjet print

Note that film numbers are assigned only once a film is developed, dry,
and cut for filing.  I have lots of film which is awaiting development,
but as of yet those rolls have no numbers.  So the order reflects the
order in which they were processed and filed, not the order in which
they were shot.

Sometimes I think that I should have chosen another numbering scheme.
David Vestal advocates one which uses year and roll number, so
2003-26-07 would be frame 7, of roll 26, of year 2003.  But the one I
use is more compact and requires less writing ;)

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you can find a given neg
when you need to.

M.