Subject: [Leica] Organizing media
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 06:37:30 -0800

Since I am not a high volume shooter I get by with a simple indexing schema:
I file each developed roll in a PrintFile (TM) page; I label the page
according to year, month, and sequential roll number for that month, e.g.,
03Apr01, 03Apr02, etc.
I let VueScan (or occasionally NikonScan) assign the sequential frame
numbers. I keep some number of images on the hard drive, perhaps to show on
screen or to post or to print after rescanning at a higher resolution. I
don't have any problem finding the correct negative frame on the PrintFile
page by inspection. I label the occasional print with the page (roll) and
image sequence number, e.g., 03Apr01.15.
When I started scanning old transparencies (I stopped using 'chromes almost
20 years ago) that I had always kept in carousels I tried to use the same
indexing schema (transferring mounted slides to PrintFile pages) I noticed
that a large proportion of the transparencies had no date stamp and that I
had only a vague idea of when I had captured these unforgettable images. My
solution was to drastically purge the collection of marginal work (one's
critical eye does get sharper with time) and to accept some unavoidable
variance between the year that I assigned to the file page and what may have
been "reality" in the distant past...
Oliver Bryk