Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 19:26:53 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> Christer Almqvist wrote:
>
> > try stand development when you use Rodinal 1+100 with HP5+.
>
> Don't you get serious problems with smoothness (or rather, lack of) of
> tonality in even-toned areas with this?  Is the dilution enough to
> overcome the roughness you can otherwise get?
>
> M.

You're asking Christer, Martin but let me say Pyro might be smoother and
more "even toned" then Rodinal @ 1:100 but not by much!
Arnold Gassan says to do 4x5 negs for copy work in Rodinal 1:100 said to
produce the most "straight line" (by Gassan and dozens of other people
I've heard) results than any other developer dilution combination with
many films. And perhaps more so than Pyro.
When you say "even toned" it sounds to me like you mean straight line on
the H&D curve.

The is no mottling with 1:100 people go way beyond that but lots and
lots of people think of Rodinal as 1:100 stuff even though it's not on
the box.
Tri X in Rodinal 1:100 is a classic combination used by many of the best
people for years and years.
Not at all prone to mottling.
I'd agitate it once a minute perhaps every other minute.

Generally more dilution will make a negative easier to print because
there is more tonal compensation. And to me that means smooth and
straight line. But there will be a point when you've diluted too much or
agitated too little.

Smooth daddy o!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA