Subject: RE: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:49:32 -0800

Ever seen Jerry Uelsman's ( sp?) work?  Pretty amazing manipulation.

There are 2 issues here.... altering an image, and getting fired.  The
getting fired part is most likely an issue of following commands from your
boss.  I don;t see a way out of that position.  If you break a written rule,
you deserve the consequences you get.  If that kills your career, ditto.
You deserve the consequences you get.

The altering an image, using the logic that it is perceived that images are
"the truth"  is sort of akin to believing all you read in the paper because
it is written down, or words spoken through the radio ( Case in point is the
current PR being spoken by the Iraqi Information Minister that the US is
getting nowhere in the war in Iraq) .  That position I find naive.  It may
be that the average reader of the paper DOES indeed believe what he
reads/sees.  That would justify the position of non-manipulation in some
minds.  However, I can not justify why a written word journalist or the
editorial staff of a paper can apply 2 standards to the same paper.  ( OK
BD, I give in on the advertisers telling the truth.. if required, there
would be no advertising!)  Cropping an image in the darkroom, cropping an
image in Photoshop, adding/deleting elements through dodging,
adding/deleting elements throu Photoshop...I do not see the difference.

In the "old days", did the photojournalists actually submit printed photos
to their editors, or did they submit FILM, from which the editors woould
select images, cropping, etc?  Could this be the basis for the double
standard?

I do like the idea that altered images be so marked, and maybe, given the
abilities the papers' have through the Internet, they could posst all 3
images, so the reader could make his own conclusion about the "story" the
picture tells.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

To do nothing in Photoshop