Subject: RE: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:20:14 -0500

Frank, I just don't understand how you can not 'get' this -

First, Jerry Uelsman is an ART photographer - his work has less than
nothing to do with this discussion. I would even go so far as to argue
that his work is not photography, but that's another discussion
entirely.

What we are talking about here is a photographer who failed to get the
powerful shot he hoped to get "constructing" that powerful shot from two
mediocre images, and then passing off the resulting construction as a
photo he took, rather than as an illustration he made. What he did was
dishonest - to his editors, and to the readers of the paper. And that
journalistic dishonesty, rather than violating some technical rule, is
what got him fired.

As you point out, photographers have long burned, dodged, and cropped -
and that has been considered a legitimate part of the photographic
process. Similarly, photographers burn, crop, and dodge using Photoshop.
But in this case, there was no image to burn, dodge or crop. THE
PHOTOGRAPHER DID NOT TAKE THE PHOTOGRAPH HE SENT TO HIS EDITORS - HE
CONSTRUCTED IT FROM ELEMENTS FROM TWO OTHER PHOTOS. What about that
don't you understand?

I'm beginning to think that the reason you either don't get this, or
want to argue about it, is that you are so convinced that all media, and
all journalists, are such lying scum that you are unable to process the
idea that there are standards, and that people get fired for violating
them. And if that's the case, this discussion is pointless. ;-)

B. D.