Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: War Photographer - James Nachtwey - OT
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:59:45 -0400

Funny - and here I thought that was most interesting and significant
about the film was Nachtwey's discussion of his motivations and his
photographic goals, and his apparent empathy with his subjects - not
whether he shoots at 125th or a 250th, or uses an EOS 1 or a 1v, or does
or does not use his autofocus. All we have to do to know that Nachtwey
shoots wide and low is look at some of his photos. All we have to do to
know that he meters carefully is look at some of his photos, which
reveal him to be as much of a craftsman as Salgado. (Actually, they
probably suggest that he is even more of a craftsman, given that he is
often photographing under far more difficult, time-constrained
conditions than Salgado. But what the documentary provides that the
photos don't, is a portrait of the photographer as a person.

B. D.