Subject: [Leica] Re: Jim Laurel's 3200 question
From: Scott Gregory <s.gregory1@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:10:02 -0400

Jim:

In order to try and succeed in getting the best color management
workflow from your M6 to the scanner then to printer, you need to be
able to make sure that what you are seeing on your monitor, is what you
will see when you print your Leica pics on whatever printer you decide
to get.

That is where the Monaco EZ color software comes in. There are other
software titles, one being Optical. I had previously purchased the
Monaco system with the calibrator to read the colors from my monitor.
The Monaco software included with the Epson 3200 scanner does not
include the calibrator for your monitor. The Monaco software is an
application for producing custom ICC profiles for monitors, scanners,
digital cameras and printers. The software includes the EZ color CD, a
user guide to walk you through setting up profiles for the above
hardware items and an IT8 Reflective 5 x 7 color target. There are two
methods of profiling a monitor, visually using your visual judgement
and the software or instrumentally using a calibrator or "colorimeter".
The colorimeter method usually results in a more accurate profile.
You may wish to visit the Monaco EZ color website for pricing of the EZ
color package separately and with the colorimeter and then compare to
the Epson 3200 pro version vs non pro and buying the EZ color package
you want. I live in Canada, so things are more $$$$ here in our
currency.

If you can get your hands on an article written by George DeWolfe in
the February March edition of "Camera Arts" magazine, George has
written a very worthwhile article entitled "Epson Stylus Photo 2200
Printer and Epson Perfection 3200 Scanner. Let me quote a couple of his
comments.
Re: the scanner: "The perfection 3200 scanner is the best flatbed
scanner Epson has ever produced. I thought they'd done an excellent job
with the 2450, but this one is a magnitude better. It comes with
templates to allow film scanning of 35 mm, 120 and 4x5 negatives. At
3200 optical resolution and 3.4 D-Max, you can safely make a 10.5 x 16
inch print (about a 44mb RGB file) from a 35 mm negative with no
interpolation. This means that a workflow between this scanner and and
13 x 19 desktop printer (1280, 2000P, 2200) will produce outstanding
results." He completes the article by saying, "Wait 'till you see the
files from this baby!" And he is correct. Great results for the price
point.

If you wish to see the article I could likely get it to you through
your private email.

Good Luck

Scott Gregory