Subject: Re: [Leica] 560 telyt day
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:18:58 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:
>> Yes, but as one that does not yet have the lens, I am trying to make the
buy
> decision....  and it is not easy with a lens this unique in its focusing
> technique.....<<<<

Hi Frank,
I just popped out of the darkroom for some R&R and saw your post re:
questions on the 400 and 560, hopefully the 6.8 which I used for many years
covering Olympics and other sports events. Before I switched to 280 2.8 and
400 2.8 and extenders.

Great glass, super easy to use... try focusing on a calf running at you full
tilt with a cowboy on horse back chasing it down to rope during the Calgary
Stampede using the 560 slide barrel pushing in the opposite direction to the
critter running at you.

In other words, critter running at me.... slide barrel being pushed at the
critter keeping it infocus, with a weird kind of in yer mind feeling....
"shouldn't I be pulling this slide barrel back the way the calf is running
at me?" ;-)

Nope and I held the calf in focus until the cowboy tossed him down. Using
the sliding barrel is so smooth and simple to use it's amazing how accurate
it is after a very short time of shooting.

I used mine always with a motor-driven Leica SLR of the day, pistol grip
equipped with electric micro switch connected to the motor and tubular
shoulder brace. It was a heck of sight when covering a State visit of some
dignitary and certainly drove the Mounties crazy whenever I pointed it in
the direction of the Queen during one of Her Royal visits. ;-)

Man it looked like a major size weapon. On more than one occasion the image
in the view finder disappeared and when I looked up there would be a "very
large member of the RCMP" standing right in front of me and lens.

But what a great lens assembly for action; sports, people, cars and other
fast moving objects. And a slow shutter speed is a piece of cake once you
acquire the hang of using the lens, shoulder brace and motor!  Actually used
the 560  @ 1/15th during the closing ceremonies of the 1972 Summer Olympics
in Munich. Perfect colour slide and exposure! ;-) Hand held with shoulder
brace.

Look, you wont go wrong with this slide barrel lens, either 400 or 560, heck
if you can find them both and have the funds, get them both! As sure as heck
as soon as you have it in your hands you'll go nuts until you have both.

I've done macro using the "barrel extender" locked in the middle of the
barrel and a macro adapter between lens and camera body! Cool stuff! :-)
Don't worry there's going to be some folks tell you it can't be done.... It
can, just do it! ;-) And you get the neatest looking images!

At worse, if you buy it and find you don't like it ...... sell it for a
profit! ;-)

And don't worry about having to use a tripod all the time... throw the
tripod away and just hand hold it, shoot away and have some major fun taking
pictures the likes you've never done before. :-)

Trust me, would I lie to you? ;-)

ted

Samples from the Women in Medicine project:
http://www.sandycarterphotography.com/WIMcollagePage.htm