Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - film resolving power
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:04:13 +0100

Resolving power of the negative says very little  (IMHO: nothing)
about how sharp/clear an enlargement looks. T-Max 100 is well known
for producing less than sharp looking prints. The fine grain of this
film may be an advantage, but to me the disadvantage for a Leica
photographer of this film, i.e. the muddy look, is much greater than
the advantage of having fine grain and high resolution.

Also, resolution figures say very little  (IMHO: nothing) unless the
corresponding contrast index of the developed film is given. It is
easier to get high resolution if the film is developed to a very high
contrast than if it is developed to what most of us call normal
contrast, but the image quality for pictorial work of prints from
high contrast negatives is unacceptable in most cases.

The film with the highest resolution at normal contrast I have ever
tested is the new Kodak Image Link film (see Kodak web site for
meager details). It is available in 35mm double perforated rolls,
unfortunately generally only in 30.5 meter length, and even worse,
these rolls are only sold in 20-packs! I guess the well known POTA
developers used for Tech Pan will all work with this film. For
pictorial use there is no advantage in having this super high
resolution which you buy at the cost of low film speed, not to speak
of the extra dollars.

I have some comparable resolving power figures from my own test. Of
course these are only comparable figures, not absolute ones.  For all
tests I used a 35 mm Summicron at 5.6 at 40x focal length, enlarged
16x with 40 mm Focotar at 5.6 and analyzed with a 10x loupe. Some of
my figures are:

TMX in Perceptol 1+3 resolves 80 lines
Delta 100 in Xtol 1+1 sometimes resolves almost 100 and looks sharper
than TMX above
Delta 100 in Rodinal 1+50 with 1 gram of Na asc resolves 80 but looks
the sharpest of all.
Image link in Spur exceed the limits of my test chart which is 100. I
guess it would be 125 or even 150 if I had a better test chart.

Now for the conclusion:

Go take pictures guys. Don't change a winning horse.
Limit the number of developers (Xtol and Rodinal for me). Limit the
number of films (Delta 100 for me for normal films and one of the
following for 400: HP5 or Delta 400 or Tri-X or TMY)

Use a tripod for high  resolution and sharpness

Chris