Subject: RE: [Leica] late night surfing
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:23:17 -0400

Well, the whole point of the Digital Journalist site, and its Platypus
philosophy, has been that photographers are going to have to learn to be
switch hitters - still and video, masters of both ways of seeing.

I would suggest, however, that you are right on the mark when you
suggest that the two forms of recording images involve different ways of
seeing. While some still photographers can make the transition to video
- - just as some film camera persons can do a great job shooting stills -
making the transition is not as easy as it seems, and does indeed
involve very different ways of seeing. Making good film, or video,
involves allot more than just pointing the camera at what appears to be
a good still image as people move - just as taking meaningful stills
involves more than snatching a frame out of a motion sequence.

B. D.