Subject: RE: [Leica] late night surfing platypus
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:02:36 -0400

Dirk Halstead, former Time White House photographer, wrote something
which I believe he called the Platypus Manifesto - and built the Digital
Journalist site around it - in which he held that in the near future,
PJs who want to survive will have be able to shoot video as well as
stills. If I recall correctly, his point was that not only have we
entered a video age, but PJs are more and more finding themselves
working for corporations with both print and t.v./web interests, and
will want to save money by having employees capable of doing more than
one thing - i.e., shooting video and stills.

While he is certainly right about this - look at the Wash Post site and
note that it always has videos in its photo section - expecting still
photographers to be platypuses - platypi? - is, for most, asking the
impossible.

B. D.