Subject: Re: [Leica] Michiel's PAW 14
From: Dave Rodgers <drodgers1@lightcurves.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:23:16 -0700

Michiel,

I like the alternate. It's the first modern photograph I've ever seen taken
in Fredrikshavn. I guess I've always been interested in that place. I have
a number of old photographs that were taken near there that date back to
the 1800s. My grandmother was born near there in 1898. Her family emigrated
to the US a couple of years later. To Minnesota for a short time. Then they
homesteaded in Sterling, CO. Her dad, my great grandfather, was out
stringing barbed wire fence one day. He scratched himself on the wire and
died of blood poisoning a few days later. So the family moved to Berkeley,
CA, where there wore more relatives. That was just before the WWI.

Part of the reason I've always been fascinated by photography is that I
loved looking through old family albums as a kid. My grandmother had
hundreds of old photographs. When she died a couple of years ago they were
distributed among family members. She gave me more than anyone else,
because she knew I loved photography.. Interestingly, some of the
photographs are in remarkably good shape. I can't take the photos out of
the albums because the albums are so fragile. But I have a couple of loose
images. Several from Fredrikshavn. I scanned a few of these and put them on
my web site. The backs of the photographs are just as interesting as the
frontl, so I scanned some backs too. The photographs are on very heavy
stock. They were made to last. I can see several lasting for another 100
years. The loose images I have came from a page that got wet at one time.

If I can figure out how to get more photos out without destroying the
albums I may scan more. Some of them really are fascinating.

If anyone is interested in looking at the few scans I made, they're are on
my web site. The page is http://www.lightcurves.com/index1.htm and the
photographs are in Gallery 3.

Thanks for positing the photograph of Fredrikshavn. The people in the
photographs I scanned were nearby where you were last week, over 100 years
ago. Wonder what it was like to live back then.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch> (Re: [Leica] Michiel's PAW 14)
Message from Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com> ([Leica] Seattle pix, critique welcome)
Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Seattle pix, critique welcome)