Subject: Re: [Leica] Musical selections for the darkroom?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 05:53:10 -0700

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> The aussie rules football ;-)
>
> On Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003, at 16:50 Australia/Melbourne, Jeff S wrote:
>
> > Any favorites that get you into the right frame of
> > mind in the darkroom (or while Photoshopping)? A few
> > that I've been enjoying lately, in no particular
> > order:
> >
> > Ravi Shankar (w/Andre Previn): Concerto for Sitar &
> > Orchestra
> > Glenn Gould: The Goldberg Variations
> > Count Basie: Atomic
> > Santana: Abraxas
> > Mussorgsky: Pictures At An Exhibition (Ashkenazy)
> > Arabic Groove (various artists, Putamayo label)
> > Les Primitifs du Futur: World Musette
> > ...and I hope to add a healthy dose of Billie Holiday
> > to the mix soon.
> >
> > I've omitted lots of favorites simply because I can't
> > always concentrate on my work while they're playing!
> > Hence, more instrumental works and fewer vocals here.
> >
> > REAL curious to find out what others are listening to
> > during those creative sessions! Could stand to get
> > some newer music into the mix too.
> >
> > Jeff S

I listen to "classical" as well the most. Often from the digital cable.
Never a human voice! No DJs.
>From the above I've got Glen Gould humming along as he plays the
Goldberg in the early 60's which one the record of the year prize. And
I've got the 1980 one when everything is going digital and he plays
everything much slower.
Beethoven or Haydn work well in the darkroom. Makes for a rich clarity
in the highlights.
But if I'm up all night I'll listen to Techno Trance Acid you name it.
>From my cable I'll listen to Salsa and different forms of Spanish Music.
They've got about 5 different channels. Some of this stuff I heard while
driving around Southern Texas which as awfully nice to year.

I like Bach, Mahler, Elgar, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Bernstein.
The "Enigma Variations" are great in the darkroom concentration and
rhythms makes for rich shadows.
I also like Bjork! Also very good for separation in those dark tones. Hicup!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Musical selections for the darkroom?)