Subject: RE: RE: [Leica] Uncertainty Principle
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:31:08 -0600

Well, that's not what our National Park says. They call it alpine tundra,
and so that's what I call it, too. Here is a quote from the National Park
Service Web site about what you'll find there:

"There is the alpine tundra, the land above the trees. More than 100 square
miles of the park lie above treeline. Trail Ridge Road and Old Fall River
Road offer easy summer access to this windswept ecosystem where the views
seem to span forever."

I've been visiting RMNP for 20 years and I've seen the words "alpine tundra"
written on exhibition signs hither and yon all through the park, in
guidebooks, and the rest. I've crawled on the ground on trails and looked at
the plants up close, and see with my own eyes what the guidebooks describe.
Have you ever been there? We are talking about landscapes that are above
12,000 feet in elevation.

There is arctic tundra, which you refer to, and alpine tundra, which we have
here. The plant life of both is very similar, though the conditions of the
climate may be quite different.

Be careful when you say "nowhere in Colorado," unless you've seen it with
your own goggles.

Kit