Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:15:17 -0700

Gerry Walden wrote:

> I notice in this months National Geographic that they reckon to use 550
> rolls of film per story. Assuming they use 36 exposure rolls, that means
> they shoot close 19,800 frames per story. Based on using about 10 frames per
> story for publication, this is a success rate of roughly 0.05%. I think even
> I could make that, as could most of us on this board. So are the NatGeo guys
> that good or do we just see the very best? Just a passing thought!
>
> Gerry
>
> Gerry Walden LRPS
> www.gwpics.com
>
> --

Puts a new meaning to the phrase "decisive moment."
More like a room full of monkeys typing and eventually they type out "Hamlet."

Rounded off to 20,000 frames its 1 out of 2000 shots. 1 shot out of 55
rolls. Almost 2 pro packs a shot. (20 rolls in cellophane)

I think I could photograph "dog doo I have known" and have it come out
NA quality at that ratio
and the images would loose all need for their physical existence but
obtain state of pure.....    coincidence.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com