Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:07:20 -0600

The old gray goose just ain't what she used to be.

I'd say that the magazine has become so mass-market (the last time I
checked, which was about ten years ago, they were charging about $175,000
for a four-color full page ad) that the content has definitely suffered.
Seems a bit thin. It's fast-produced, mass-produced. Used to be you could
not buy the NG on newsstands. It was just not possible. Now they're in
Safeway and everywhere else. It's a nice magazine, but it's not the same
publication it used to be, not a journal of the National Geographic Society,
which meant something quite different from what it means now.

There is still good work in it, but it just doesn't have the same feel it
once had, at least not when I was a youngin' lusting to be the "other" woman
in its ranks. Every month I would grab the new issue as soon as it arrived,
and look in the credits to see if the lone female--whose name I can't
remember anymore--had been joined by any other. I can't remember if, in my
days of rabid NG fandom, if there was ever more than one woman on staff. Now
I see they've come out with a book called "Women Photographers of National
Geographic." I must have been doing something else while they added enough
women to qualify for a coffee-table book featuring female shooters.

Kit