Subject: [Leica] National Geo
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:31:52 -0600

University of Chicago Press published an interesting book a few years back
called _Reading National Geographic_, that might be of interest to NG fans
and critics alike. Here's a blurb on the book:

"For its millions of readers, the National Geographic has long been a window
to the world of exotic peoples and places. In this fascinating account of an
American institution, Catherine A. Lutz and Jane L. Collins explore the
possibility that the magazine, in purporting to teach us about distant
cultures, actually tells us much more about our own.

Lutz and Collins take us inside the National Geographic Society to
investigate how its photographers, editors, and designers select images and
text to produce representations of Third World cultures. Through interviews
with the editors, they describe the process as one of negotiating standards
of "balance" and "objectivity," informational content and visual beauty.
Then, in a close reading of some six hundred photographs, they examine
issues of race, gender, privilege, progress, and modernity through an
analysis of the way such things as color, pose, framing, and vantage point
are used in representations of non-Western peoples. Finally, through
extensive interviews with readers, the authors assess how the cultural
narratives of the magazine are received and interpreted, and identify a
tension between the desire to know about other peoples and their ways and
the wish to validate middle-class American values.

The result is a complex portrait of an institution and its role in promoting
a kind of conservative humanism that acknowledges universal values and
celebrates diversity while it allows readers to relegate non-Western peoples
to an earlier stage of progress. We see the magazine and the Society as a
key middlebrow arbiter of taste, wealth, and power in America, and we get a
telling glimpse into middle-class American culture and all the wishes,
assumptions, and fears it brings to bear on our armchair explorations of the
world."

Kit