Subject: RE: [Leica] New TriX
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:02:15 -0400

- --On Thursday, April 24, 2003 12:28:34 PM -0400 Ernest Nitka
<enitka@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> This is sure to be splitting hairs but what is the point of having less
> grain in Tri X?  As someone already pointed out - maybe BD, it is the
> film's 'signature' grain that makes it TriX - otherwise call it non - T
> Grain Tmax.  Does anyone on the list know Kodak's reason for this new
> TriX?  Is it just that this is what they can produce in their new plant
> and they are trying to dupe us into thinking this is an improved TriX -
> what was wrong with the old TriX.  Sorry for the rant.
>
> Ernie HP5+ Nitka

Ernie,

It seems to have been an unintentional byproduct of Kodak moving the
production to their new plant. The films now have a different backing, and
this has made some difference in their characteristics. TMY has apparently
gotten more grain, to the point that Tri-X is now finer grained than TMY.
If that's the case, I'm not sure why anyone would use TMY, at least in 35mm.

You can easily tell the "new" Tri-X in the darkroom as the backing feels
thinner. Whether it is actually thinner or just more flexible, I don't know.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.