Subject: [Leica] The Tri-Elmar flare thing
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:17:54 +0000

Sorry to rehash a subject, but I have been out of town for a few days and
did not get a chance to respond during the discussion about the tri-elmar.

Yes indeed, the Tri Elmar does have a flare problem.  In particular at the
50mm setting.  I have a stack of slides that were trash because of the
unpredictable nature of this lens at the 50mm setting.

What was baffling to me was that the flare occured in shots that would not
normally be a problem for most modern lenses.

I found that hazy/bright days gave the tri elmar fits.  The flare was
identical to that seen in the shots posted earlier on this forum.  The
character of the flare made me believe that it has to do with reflections in
the inner barrel of the lens, between element and camera, not between lens
elements themselves.  If you look into the back of the TE while pointing it
at a light source you can see that a LOT of light reflects off the inner
barrel in the 50mm setting.  Little or none at the 28 or 35mm setting.  I
also noticed that the inner barrel is painted more of a flat grey than
black, when compared to my other Leica or Contax lenses.

If this was an SLR lens you would be able to see the flare before taking the
shot...and correct for the situation by reframing or changing magnification.
  Since you can not see THROUGH the lens you are left unaware until you get
the ruined shots back.

It was this nasty traight along with a ton of distortion at 28mm that made
me give up my TE.  The fact that these issues have not been more of an issue
with the LUG and especially with Erwin Puts  has suprised me.  How the TE is
constantly refered to as one of Leicas "best" really has me stumped.  Am I
too picky?  Are most users not seeing the problem in the snapshots they are
getting back from walmart?

Best wishes
Dan States
Grand Forks  (Americas wonderland) ND