Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:12:18 -0700

Bad choice of words.  How about "without serious design flaws..."?  You're
right - staying on the sidelines and waiting for digital equipment to mature
is ridiculous as that will be years to come, if ever.  Actually, for my
purposes, the EOS1Ds is almost perfect, except for the chromatic aberration
problem with wide angle lenses.

Which am I?  I usually like to get in when I see a plateau or some sort.  I
would argue that the 11 and 14mp sensors in the Canon and Kodak DSLRs
represent a plateau.  I think the manufacturers will spend some time there,
focused on refinement before increasing pixel density.  That many pixels are
enough to replace a 35mm frame for most practical purposes.  Mark my words,
Canon will address the chromatic aberration problem in some way during the
EOS1Ds product cycle.

- --Jim