Subject: Re: [Leica] Working order
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:10:27 -0400

Erik van der Meulen writes:

> Hi - being new to Leica M photography, I thought it would be best to
> learning the proper habits of operating this thingy.
>
> I seem to have a natural tendency to start adjusting my focus in order
> to have the finder image okay, and after that adjusting the aperture to
> get the light reading correct.
> Problem which occurs is that I frequently touch the focus ring on my
> (small) 35mm Summicron while adjusting the aperture.
> I am curious what most people do. Get the lighting right and only than
> the focus, or the other way around...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>   Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.com>
> --

Erik -- well most of the time I use the M2 and M3 which have no meter, then
the problem you have is not an issue because you have already set the
aperture.

But, to answer your question, when using my M6s, what I do is focus first
then meter. The way I do this, and it is the same with a focus tab or ring,
is I focus with the side of my forefinger (on the tab or ring) placed
underneath the lens. When in focus, roll your finger slightly to the
aperture ring to make the adjustment. Also I find that having the lens hood
on helps to locate my finger on the aperture ring. This is pretty easy and
your subconcious and forefinger will work in unison pretty quickly.

sl