Subject: [Leica] ASPH Flare and harsh Bokeh
From: Thomas Pastorello <etruscello@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:16:47 -0700 (PDT)

   I must agree with Dan States about the flare
proness of the Tri-Elmar.  I sold mine.  I also sold
my 24mm-M ASPH for the same reason.  It is my
experience (and my careful reading of tests
reports)that all ASPH lenses are more flare prone than
the pre-ASPH Leica-M generation.  Leica paid too high
a price for the corner sharpness that comes with the
ASPH design. I speculate that the ASPH flare problem
has to do with the molding technique used by Leica to
create the aspherical elements.  I say this because I
own a 35mm-M f1.4 Aspherical (not ASPH). This is the
original lens with two HAND-POLISHED aspherical
elements.  It is totally flare free under all
conditions without or with hood! Unfortunately, like
all ASPH lenses it has poor bokeh in close range,
compared to the pre-ASPH  Leica-M generation.  (It is
better than all the ASPH lenses, however, in regard to
bokeh.  Yes, I do believe the 35 Lux Aspherical to be
superior to the 35 Lux ASPH.)  I won't use ASPH
lenses.  If I want extra sharpness, I need only scan
and process through Photoshop -- that way I get all
the virtues of the pre-ASPH lenses (including
beautiful bokeh)and ASPH lenses (extra
sharpness)without the drawbacks of the ASPH lenses
(flare and poor bokeh). I don't miss the Tri-Elmar.
Tom
P.S.  Read the Putts reports carefully.  Even he
indicates (inconspicuously) that the out-of-focus
images of the ASPH lenses shatter (i.e., harsh bokeh).