Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions about consistancy within a project
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:29:22 -0500

Adam -

There's no established thought on this. Different films have
different flavors.  Some artists like working in all oil paints;
others use chalk/crayon/oil/watercolors as they see fit.

I work almost exclusively in Tri-X when in B&W. Why? Because that's
what I've done for 16 years and I'm used to how Tri-X behaves. I know
what look I'll get in any particular situation. So I'm comfortable
with it, although I still will have to get used to the idea of using
the new Tri-X (I still have 20 rolls of old Tri-X to use before I
order my next batch).

But venturing out of one's safety zone is always a good thing. I
occasionally buy other films to give them a try (Acros is
interesting, though expensive). But I always return to good old
Tri-X, not particularly because I think it's the best, but because I
know exactly what it can do and what it can't.

My own advice to you would be to use a single film until you get used
to it, then try other ones. If you keep dilly-dallying with different
films, you'll never get a chance to learn/use one well.

Karen