Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital slightly OT
From: chmilar@mminternet.com
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:08:56 -0000

Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> said:

> None of the 35mm lenses are suitable for the system (or optimised for
> digital) so, in any case, new lenses would have to be designed by
> everybody. i believe digital optimised lenses have been produced for
> LF, though I do not know in what way they have been optimised.

Schneider has the Digitar series of lenses. They are
more appropriate for medium format than for large
format, due to smaller image circles. The focal lengths
are on the shortish side for LF, as well, but quite
nice for MF.

The optimisation seems to be that they have increased
the resolution (ie. more lp/mm). This makes sense if
you are using a sensor that is smaller than 4x5 inches,
but you want the same overall resolution as shooting
with a traditional lens on 4x5 film.

Some people have been using Digitar lenses (particularly
the 120mm APO) on 4x5. Apparently, the image circle is
larger than what Schneider states.

I have not heard anything about the Digitar lenses
having any sort of retrofocus design to make the light
rays more parallel at the sensor. I think they are still
"pure" designs.