Subject: Re: [Leica] Voightlander 15mm
From: Simon Ogilvie <simonogilvie@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:14:43 +0100

Henry Ting wrote:
>I was like you at first, drawn by the urge to
>experiment with a super-wide. But that play-factor on
>a new-toy syndrome faded out in a hurry after using
>it. It's way too wide for landscape photography, too
>distorted for interior, too much of everything. Apart
>from all that, its a quality lens.

I beg to differ on the distortion.  I've found it
quite usable for architectural subjects, and interiors
in particular.  It gives access to wide-open interiors
that are impossible with anything else I use.  If you
want the traditional rigid parallel verticals (which
I often do) it pays to take time ensuring the camera
is lined up correctly, which is not easy to do with the
Voightlander viewfinder.  But you can also get interiors
with great impact by deliberately shooting at an angle
or looking upwards.  It is a lot wider than a 21 and
it takes some getting used to, but worth it in my opinion.

Simon.

- --
Simon Ogilvie