Subject: Re: [Leica] C/V 35mm F1.2, suddenly faster
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:10:37 -0400

B.D.
I guess that I would prefer to go faster with the film than change lenses.
I have far less experience with the 1.2 than Tom A. but I would say that the
lens is not nearly as good at 1.2 as the 1.4 is at 1.4.  In other words, for
me, I would push on the film a little harder than rely on the 1.2 to bring
in the image.  With that said, I am probably a customer of the 1.2 for the
shallow DOF and the creative images that can be had with the plane of focus
forcing the eye where I want it.

My main caveat would be if I did club shooting or other close in stage work.
I think that the contrast of the ASPH may push the already high contrast
over the edge, and in that case, the C/V lens would be the cats meow.

Once again, this is a case of artistic expression dictating what tool works
best.  I strongly feel that you will be calling Rich or Dr. Yao to acquire
one.  For you, the speed will make the early mornings for your Day in the
Life series work even better.  Or I recall a pool hall shot you posted where
the shallower DOF may have improved the image.  Besides, I suspect that you
could sell the lens for just about what you paid for it in the near term if
you find it unsatisfactory.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com