Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom
From: "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 17:07:09 -0400

B.D. I agree with most of what you say; also with most of what Steve said.
But...........

> Oh, right - obsolescence. We are at the point now with digital where
> people can buy in at a number of price points and be happy for quite a
> few years to come with the results they get. Sure, digital will continue
> to improve. But how many people will have to have the improvements?
> Certainly not enough so that your concern about "digicams" becoming
> obsolete every two years is relevant.

This isn't the point. My understanding is that at the consumer level,
product is being designed and manufactured to work well for a limited period
of time and the manufacturers do not support or service their older
equipment.

It just happened to me with my relatively recent (4-year-old)
Hewlett-Packard Laserjet printer/fax machine. It worked perfectly early last
week. Then last Thursday it malfunctioned. Checking the "error" I need a new
memory board. H-P no longer makes a separate memory board for this machine.
But I can buy it in unit with some other important component. Price: $450. I
get a trade-in of $200. for the components in the machine. But I have to
find someone (and pay someone) who knows how to install the new components.
Result, I spend $699. for a new "updated" Laserjet.

So the photo consumer is compelled to upgrade because the maker can't
(won't) fix the old machine. It's modern commerce. Yuk.

Seth             LaK 9