Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom now digital pluses
From: "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:59:38 -0400

Again, the non-techie pipes in.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>

> Dante,
> I will mention the pluses of a digital workflow for me.
> 1) complete repeatability once a print is satisfactory
> 2)local contrast/density/sharpness easily controlled down to the pixel
level
> 3)easy global contrast control  at whatever point in the curve you want to
> change contrast without unsharp masks, pencils, split developers etc.
> 4)spotting time drastically reduced
> 5)working in the light interacting with the family
> 6)no chemical fumes/strange chemical failures

Agree with 1 through 6. Interestingly, Nils Thorsten, late of Leica USA,
opined to me during the LHSA spring shoot that in his view, presently the
best combination of quality result and convenience (not speed) is the silver
halide film camera input scanned to digital with digital (non-darkroom)
manipulation and output.

> 7)potentially longer life of prints

Not remotely demonstrated. As yet.

> 8)by making a digital negative I can still make a silver print if called
for

........and so?

> 9)if color materials used initially can imitate filters after exposure

See 1-6. Yes.

Seth            LaK 9

Message from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Darkroom now digital pluses)