Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom now digital pluses
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:51:06 -0400

Austin,
I think you missed my point.  No where did I mention digital capture.  All
of my rant was after the film was scanned.  As to repeatability of prints,
it is a definition of standards.  My experience so far has been that in the
Epson world, prints made several years later match prints stored in the
dark.  Actually, so far, they match prints on display.  Have I put a
densitometer on them? No, so your point can be argued on the technical
merits.  However, the practical comparison would be an analog print made
several years later in different chemistry, with a lamp that is at a
different point in its life cycle, with a different batch of paper, and a
printer trying to make heads or tails of the dodge/burn notes on the back of
the master print.  Never mind if there was any localized bleaching, split
developers, split filtration, ad nauseum.  In the inkjet world, pull out the
CD, open PS, open the file, confirm size, optimize the printer to the media
being printed on an out comes an extremely similar print.

Spotting, I use a scanner with no dust/scratch reduction ability which
wouldn't help anyway as 80% of what I scan is regular old B/W negatives and
there is always some dust at 200%.

Really, I am one of those people who enjoy the best of both worlds, film,
and digital.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com