Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 viewfinder upgrade
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 16:24:03 -0700

Hi Peter,
You're absolutely right on all counts and without question Leica are in the
wrong for not correcting it or at least offering some kind of exchange or
compensation for those with flare problem.

Like you, I wear glasses and yes I see the flare but I've just ignored it
and quite frankly until I became a member of the Leica lists some 5 years
ago or so, I never knew of a flare problem as I just accepted it as a
lighting situation and carried on shooting by shifting camera and eye
slightly.

Have I ever missed a shot due to it? I suppose at sometime or other, but I
never related to it until the LUG talked about it.

As you know Sandy Carter and I spent the first three months of this year
shooting in medical facilities around North America, she using 3 - M6's and
I, 3 - M7's hanging off our neck or shoulders. I don't think she or I missed
a shot because of a flare item.

And I suppose I could honestly say yes I saw a flare or two but it's never
been a problem. I suppose I just live with it and don't take it as big a
problem as others do.  However, if it were to become a major problem for me
I'd do exactly the same as I did with the R4 crap outs I had and set a time
that I'd be at the Leica Canada offices in Toronto with the National media
in place to watch me totally smash the problem R4 to pieces on their door
step! Leica honchos didn't believe me when I told them it would happen.

Quite frankly when they saw three National TV network crews, several wire
service and newspaper stills shooters waiting I immediately received a brand
new R4! :-) Aaaah the power of the press in a useful moment. ;-)

Maybe some of the guys here should band together and do the same thing in
New Jersey.......

The catch is, you absolutely have to have the balls to go through with the
destruction of the camera, which I was, as I had three other R 4's that
worked like dreams. The bastard R4 camera had cost me a fortune in
transportation, cost for repairs and lost photographs, so I really wanted to
smash it to bits! And when you see those TV cameras ready to roll you know
you can't back down and chicken out or you're doomed!

As my clan motto is... "Stand Fast!" You absolutely have to do just that .
Stand fast and smash the camera to smithereens for the TV sets of the world.
And I don't have any doubt, if some of you guys pulled that one off Leica
would supply new cameras before it happened! What the hell have you got to
loose, a few bucks and maybe get a new Leica no flare camera! :-)

Heck, beats the hell out of everyone whining and taking some real time
action!

Can you imagine Herr Cohn waking up to the early morning TV news to see a
half dozen Leica's being smashed to pieces on world wide television! :-)

Now that would be worth a no flare KODAK moment! ;-) :-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Samples from the Women in Medicine project:
http://www.sandycarterphotography.com/WIMcollagePage.htm