Subject: [Leica] PWIFLI: Music of Remembrance
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 22:58:18 -0700

More pictures from a recent "Music of Remembrance" concert here in Seattle,
consisting of music from or about the Holocaust.

I was there "unoffically."  The official photographer, wielding a monstrous
Nikon F4 and zooms, told me that he was not supposed to shoot during the
music, only during bows or setup.  I complied with that except at the very
end, when I couldn't resist a couple of shots during loud passages.  The
M6TTL shutter did not betray me.  This concert also marked the debut of my
recently-acquired Minolta Spotmeter M.  It's so nice to be able to measure
an individual face, open up a stop, and stop worrying.  Until they change
the lights, anyway.

Roll 1 was T400CN.  Roll 2 was old Tri-X.  All of Roll 1 and the beginning
of Roll 2 were shot with a borrowed 90/2 APO AA Summicron, mostly at wide
open at 1/125.  An incredible lens, reminds me of the 50 Summicron, with
twice the magnification. You can tell when it's wide-open, but the loss of
quality is slight rather than obvious.  One weird thing, though--it seems
to have narrower depth of field than a spherical 90.  I think this is
because the focus has a sharp peak rather than a broader "hump," so a
person only a foot or two closer or farther than the point of focus looks
more out of focus than with a traditional-design lens.

Some of these pictures had the grain reduced a bit using Neat Image.  I
think I like most of them better unfiltered.

Which do you like better, cropped or not?  Ordinarily I'd go for the
cropped version, but my wife prefers the uncropped version with more piano
visible.
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/1-06LonyaMinaCrop.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/1-06LonyaMinaNotCrop.jpg

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/1-10LonyaMinaWeb.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/1-12JeannieMinaAmosWeb.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/1-22AmosLoriErichWeb.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/1-25AmosLoriErichWeb.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/1-25AmosLoriErichWeb.jpg

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/2-02PreSchulhoffWeb.jpg (I need
to redo this one)
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/2-03LonyaMischaWeb.jpg

"Cabaret Music from Terezinstadt."  These were shot with the VC 50/1.5
Nokton, wide open, 1/60th.
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/2-15TerezinWeb.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/2-20TerezinWeb.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/2-23TerezinBowsWeb.jpg