Subject: Re: [Leica] Agfa photo contest - 12 Leica cameras
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 21:10:51 -0400

Tina Manley wrote:
> At 08:00 PM 5/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>  >Within the framework of the competition, all rights to the
> prizewinning >photographs are transferred to Agfa. The photos will be
> published in >reports about the competition (print and online) on Agfa
> product >packages and in the Agfa black and white photo calendar.
> Publication in >any other form will only be with the agreement of the
> relevant >photographer.
>
>> This seems to me to suggest that the rights being transferred are only
>> with respect to the usage in competition related material. All other
>> rights seem to be reserved.
>>
>> I actually don't think that's too horrible.
>>
>> Rolfe
>

> Rolfe -
>
> If the rights are transferred, you have no rights.  Agreement with the
> relevant photographer means nothing.  You have no rights after you
> transfer all rights.

Tina,

I believe the language means that your are transferring all rights
relevant to the competition. I think this has become standard practice
with photographic contests sponsored by reputable entities. They
understand that the "all rights" thing is untenable.

Having said that, I'm not an attorney, so I'll wait for someone else to
step in. But that is my reading of the language.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Agfa photo contest - 12 Leica cameras)