Subject: Re: [Leica] Agfa photo contest - 12 Leica cameras
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 21:39:11 -0400

At 09:10 PM 5/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Tina,

>I believe the language means that your are transferring all rights
>relevant to the competition. I think this has become standard practice
>with photographic contests sponsored by reputable entities. They
>understand that the "all rights" thing is untenable.
>
>Having said that, I'm not an attorney, so I'll wait for someone else to
>step in. But that is my reading of the language.
>
>Rolfe

Rolfe -

If you read any of the EP (http://www.editorialphoto.com/) messages, this
is one of the worst scams that publishers use with photographers.  They
grab all rights (that is what you are signing away) and hope to get good
enough photographs to use for their advertising campaigns without paying
advertising rates.  Believe me, once you sign away "all rights", as it
states in this contract, you will have no rights left to lease your
photograph to anyone else.  Any reputable contest now assigns all rights to
the photographer, as it should be.  Your copyright is established once you
click the shutter, but for legal rights you have to register the photo with
the US copyright office.  Publishers take advantage of photographers who
don't know the value of their own material and it lowers the value of all
photographs.

Before you consider selling any photographs or entering any contests,
please consult the EP website.  Every time you sell or give away a
photograph for less than the established rate, you are hurting every
photographer who is trying to make a living leasing photographs.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

photos available from: