Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions on Leica's Latest Screw Mount Lenses - Circa 1999
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 22:55:20 -0700

Jerry,

I think you will find references showing that the threadmount Leicas with the
1.5x magnification on the rangefinder are more than accurate to focus the
faster and longer lenses. Unless you believe Effective Base Length (EBL) is a
myth.

IIIf has an EBL of 39 x 1.5 = 58.5
M6 .85 has an EBL of 69.25 x 0.85 =58.7
M6 .72 has an EBL of 69.25 x 0.72 = 49.7
M6 .58 has an EBL of 69.25 x 0.58 = 40.2
M3 has an EBL of 69.25 x 0.91 = 63.0

So the M3 should be more accurate than a IIIf, and the IIIf as good as or
better than the M6.

I have never seen a Leica RF threadmount without a built-in magnifier. Was
there such a Leica?

Dennis

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Questions on Leica's Latest Screw Mount Lenses - Circa 1999)
Message from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Questions on Leica's Latest Screw Mount Lenses - Circa 1999)