Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 20 - My first with a Noctilux
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:08:30 -0700

Clive Moss showed:
<<After a few weeks of nothing but digital images, I am taking the plunge
into PAW waters with my first try with my Noctilux. See:
> > >http://clive.moss.net/images/PAW/Week20.htm<<<

Hi Clive,

The Noctilux shot is OK. However the tulips? ;-)

A suggestion for the future and you'll have some very wild but very
interesting looking flower photographs.

Use the slowest slide or col. neg film you can find, because at f 1.0 in
daylight, you'll need it. Set apeture at f.1.0, focus ring turned to the
nearest focus point, bend your knees and get right down to the flowers.

Now don't touch the focus ring! Move your body slightly back and forth to
get the flowers, I should the flower in focus. Remember it's f.1.0, so
there's almost zero depth so move very carefully while maintaining sharp
focus and an interesting composition.

Do not touch the focus ring, as you'll defeat the whole purpose of the
picture and lens use.

If you do this right you'll have pictures almost like a macro look only much
better and more interesting. If you have a chance to do it on a misty
morning or there's dew or water drops on the flowers the results are quite
amazingly spectacular.

Or if you don't have any of the above, take along a small hand water mister
and give the flowers a good misting by hand.

So keep using the Noctilux on the flowers, but you gotta bend those knees
and get right down at their level as anybody can point and shoot as your
shot looks in this case.

ted
Samples from the Women in Medicine project:
http://www.sandycarterphotography.com/WIMcollagePage.htm

Replies: Reply from Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] PAW 20 - My first with a Noctilux)
Message from "GeeBee" <graham@geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk> (Re: [Leica] PAW 20 - My first with a Noctilux)