Subject: RE: [Leica] M Viewfinder
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:05:28 -0700

Ok, I had the same problem.  I cured it the easy way.... I found a dealer
that had several diopters in stock.  Then I tried them all until the one I
needed was obvious ( which of course he did not have in stock... the
stronger one was worse, and the less strong one was worse so the one missing
was the right one for me)

I have tried this on Hasselblad, Nikon, and M Leica.  The calculated one
never turns out to be the one you need, and you throw away your money
hunting down the right one.  Nikon used to have a gadget for the Nikon F
that had all the diopters on a moveable "belt".  You kept trying them all
until the right one came up.   The you bought that one.  I wish someone
would go back to basics on this one.... and use Nikon's technique.

BTW, my experience is that the Optometrist/Op-whatever are both clueless,
wrong, and don't want to make the lens anyway.  Save your breath, head for a
really well stocked Leica dealer and do it right...

BTW, anyone needing some Hasselblad diopters of the wrong value are welcome
to contact me.  I have several.  I finally decided the variable diopter VF
( PME90, PM/PME45, and chimney VF) models were the only rational solution.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net