Subject: [Leica] PAW 20 dlridings
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 14:27:53 +0200 (MEST)

The 17th of May in Norway has to be experienced, not just described. It's
not a typical (from the Swedish viewpoint), wild Scandinavian party. It
involves everyone, young and old. One of the ways to visualize the
atmosphere is for the anglo-saxons to conjure up the atmosphere around
Easter. I'm not thinking of the religious context, so forgive me for that
comparison, but of the idea that Easter is one day of the year when you
put on your very best clothes and go out.

A good proportion of the population in Oslo put on their very finest
clothes, polished shoes, leaving nothing to chance. Then early in the
morning --- I started down towards the center at around 9 am --- they
begin to gather downtown, in front of the palace.

Every single school around Oslo then parades past the palace and the king
waves his greeting. This he does for three and a half hours. Try and
visualize thousands upon thousands totally taking over the downtown area,
all happy and in a good mood. That's the 17th of May in Oslo.

http://www.dlridings.com/paw2003/20.html

alt1

http://www.dlridings.com/paw2003/20alt1.html

These brave souls are graduating this year. As part of a tradition they
have been partying and doing things they would NEVER be allowed to do
otherwise, for at least three weeks with no breaks. The 17th of May is the
final day for the pranks and drunkedness. Then ... they take their final
exams. How they _ever_ pass them ... beats me.

http://www.dlridings.com/paw2003/20alt2.html

Daniel

Replies: Reply from "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch> (Re: [Leica] PAW 20 dlridings)