Subject: [Leica] new MP
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 22:58:02 -0400

Finally had a chance to play around with a couple of new MP cameras yesterday in
Montreal, one black, one chrome.

First, for those who've wondered, the black paint finish is stunningly perfect. At
least as good as an original paint M4 -- not too shiny. The chrome finish was also
fully up to Leica's highest standards. Both were the kind of cameras that make you
want them.

I very much liked the new body covering material (hated it from promo photos, but
it's far nicer in person). It is definitely less slippery than the old M6 covering
material, probably eliminating the need for an accessory grip. However, I can confirm
that the material on the back door isn't a perfect match -- looks different, and
still slippery. Strange.

RF performance is clearly better -- more contrasty and distinct focusing patch
itself, but perhaps less noticeable for the framelines. I still miss the thicker
framelines of yesteryear.

Shutter sound is somehow more damped. But on the black camera, I did not recognize
that old familiar 1950s-60s shutter release feel, with the very precise release point
:-(   The chrome camera's release was definitely as precise as my old Wetzlar Leicas
- -- and much better than any M6 I ever used. I'd suggest trying cameras in person
before you buy, if that's important for you.

Sadly, there were no Leicavits or rewind adapters on hand to try.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal