Subject: Re: [Leica] new MP
From: Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 09:49:05 -0400

I believe I saw the same black paint MP that Emanuel is describing.  I had
my old Wetzar era M6 with me (recently CLA'd by Jerry Smith) and I could
hear no difference in shutter sounds between it and the MP (and my friend
who was with me concurred).  Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see a
silver-chrome version, though I did ask for one.

This will sound heretical, but I am not impressed by the look of the black
paint finish.  My only recollection of these finishes is based on how old
black paint "pro-finish" Japanese SLRs from the 60s looked, in particular,
Nikon Fs, Nikkormats, etc.   To me the MP looked too shiny, especially the
lenses.   If I didn't know better, I would have thought they were plastic.
I really do wish that I could have handled a chrome finished version.

Based upon my very scientific 5 minute evaulation of one camera in a
crowded camera store, is the MP worth buying?   Yes, if you want a new
mechanical M Leica.  If you already own an M6, I don't see the point to
making a change.

Unless you REALLY like that black paint, but man, that's got to be a crazy
reason to buy a camera!  Oops, we're talking about Leicas, I forgot.  :-(

IMHO

dan c.

ps...I had my 1st version aspherical 35 summilux with me in the store, and
tried to do more scientific ground breaking research by comparing it with a
ho-hum regular 35/1.4 ASPH.  The results?  Mine is better.   Trust me.
nuff said.

  At 10:58 PM 24-05-03 -0400, Emanuel Lowi wrote:
>Finally had a chance to play around with a couple of new MP cameras
yesterday in
>Montreal, one black, one chrome.
[snip]