Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:20:12 -0400

> > The camera sold originally for $7000
> > new and today about 6 months later can be had on the street for well
> under
> > $5000.
>
> >That somehow makes it not a good camera?
>
> No Austin, just a commercial disaster. I don't see a clear future in
> Kyocera Photographic business. Nor probably themselves do.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Felix

Precisely my point.  Kyocera will not continue to subsidize its photo line,
which as said before is on a solid 8 year losing streak with only dead end
manual focus products and a shaky SLR AF N mount line.  Once the new digital
4/3 standard takes hold, with no solid hold in the marketplace with its N
mount camera or N Digital, I believe Contax will have nothing left to do but
fold or concentrate only on the G and point and shoot gear.  Others on the
Contax list have said the same thing.  Perhaps some other industry giant
with deep pockets (Sony perhaps) will take over Contax SLR but the
commercial disaster of the ND has pretty much spelled the end for Contax SLR
as we know it.

Gary

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-))