Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:58:29 -0400

> BTW, it's odd for you to at all "hack" me, of all people, about brand
> loyalty.  I have none, my loyalty is to good cameras, not camera
brands...as
> I have Contax, Leica, Canon, Hasselblad, Rollei (both TLR and MF SLR),
> Plaubel...to start the list.  No, I really have no brand loyalty, but I
> simply am able to acknowledge an exceptional camera.
>
> Austin

What you are missing is that the ND is an inferior product.  I can't fathom
except for product loyalty why you defend it.  Of course you can take good
photos with it, the ND uses Zeiss glass.  But this does not mean it's a good
product.  But by any measure of cost to performance, its performance
compared to the performance of its competition (Canon 1D) it is woefully
outclassed, an inferior product in a very unforgiving marketplace.  But
don't take my word for it.  The marketplace has spoken, and the ND is for
all intents and purposes dead.  Since the N mount film system is not doing
that well either, the only issue to be settled is if the disaster of the ND
takes Contax down with it.  I took this position BEFORE the ND camera was
introduced.  It's based on a deeply flawed model, which means it's a deeply
flawed product.   Not even Nikon has been able to hold its position in the
marketplace with an inferior high end digital product (many Nikon loyalist
pros have moved to Canon, at one time unthinkable).  Contax does not have
anywhere near the user base that Nikon has, so what's to prevent the ND from
sinking the Contax ship?

Again, the only thing exceptional about the ND is how poorly it has been
received and how much the investment in it has evaporated in such a short
period of time.

Gary