Subject: [Leica] Canon FS4000
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 19:08:53 -0700

Well, gang, I've just joined the 4000 dpi world.  I've purchased a Canon
FS4000US on which to scan my Leica negatives and slides. I'm upgrading from
a Nikon LS-2000, which I used exclusively with VueScan.  If anyone has tips
to help get over the transition and learning curve, I'd love to hear them.

I'm wondering if I should stick with VueScan or use FilmGet.  I tend to do
all adjustments after the scan.  I like to get all possible detail in the
scan and then fix the black and white points (etc.) in the image
editor.  B&W is my first love, but I do shoot color as well.

Is the scanner's native FARE more effective than VueScan's Infrared
Cleaning or vice versa?  One thing I noticed was that in VueScan, the
FS4000 did *two* passes when infrared cleaning was on.  I don't know if
that happens when running FARE within FilmGet.

Thanks,
- --Peter Klein
Seattle

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Canon FS4000)