Subject: [Leica] Right on, Tina! And also about fragility!
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:13:40 -0400

Yup!
I agree with most of that - I'm still pretty judicious about 'which' soccer
parents have used the camera .. You have to find the ones that have that
"have the track record" - that's where a great dealer helps out. The ones
who treated their high end 'whatever' like a newborn babe :-) ......
BECAUSE you are very correct about the fragility problems. I'm sure we'll
take a lot of flack for this (get the vest and helmet on) - but even the
best digital SLR's don't come close to the 'ruggedness' of an R8/9, F5,
EOS1-V -- no way, no how. A Boston Globe shooter I know lost almost all the
rubber off his Nikon in the first month he owned it, and lost the toggle
button on the back (Needs to move the cursor with a pen point!). Also, he
(and he's not alone on this one) just 'lost' photos he just reviewed on the
camera LCD - into thin air - no Rescue Program could get anything out of
those cards or microdrives. If your bread and butter depends on it, it's
nice to have that little piece of gelatin with that one of a kind image on
it in your files - or in your camera ready to capture it!

    And the dog -- I know -- I was licked straight in the face by the
frothiest Newfoundland I ever saw back in Vet School. He got a few of us ten
years back; I think we're all still showering off drool to this day! Newfies
and Bernards - Look out :-)
Ed

- -