Subject: [Leica] Gear analogy kind of strange?
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:25:37 -0400

Austin -
    I see the point you are making - I guess I am not seeing the "gear"
thing the same way - isn't the 5th gear of my Toyota 4Runner the least
"noisy"? I get the best mileage there (24 MPG!) at most likely is the "best"
part of the performance curve. Actually, it's probably better than a Porche
or Viper -- IF we were not racing :-) -- where I certainly would be
outperformed. But if we all lined up side to side, kept the same velocity
(60 mph) in the highest gear (lowest gear ratio below one), put in exactly
the same volume of gasoline, controlling as many variables as possible, I
bet I'd go further when the fuel ran out. And a VW Beetle would beat me ...
    So in "CCD - Land", could there (should there?) not be different chips
that cover different parts of the "performance" or noise curve (even with
filters - software or hard, such as a Wiener Filter)? Maybe one chip cannot
be all things (as film is - we can choose the right kind for the application
at hand) and a GOOD, STURDY digital back is the correct solution. One could
buy the back they wanted that performs optimally for that person/situation.
Need a digital ISO 3200 back, then buy one designed to work best in that
range. Want an "all rounder"? Go that route. Maybe there's something to that
notion. I wonder .... What do you, and all, think?
Ed